Very Important Holiday Today, Folks...

It's World Cat Day! 



I shall celebrate my cat.

Ranga is happy, especially when he is attacking his feather toy, or carrying his catnip mouse throughout the house by its tail. I've even caught him napping a few times snuggled up with his toys. He purrs constantly! Unless he's alone - then he meows to find us. This is only a problem at night, when we're trying to sleep. When I'm home, Ranga follows me around the house.

We put a collar on him yesterday. He wasn't too happy about the actual "putting the collar on" part, but didn't try to pull it off after it was on, either. I think I'll pick up a harness and lead and try to leash train him.

He was a stray, apparently, before getting picked up by the St. Charles Animal Shelter, and we adopted him through PetSmart. If you're looking to adopt a cat, I do recommend adopting a shelter animal through PetSmart - they were wonderful to work with! (If you're looking to adopt a dog - if you're that type of person - I suppose the same recommendation holds.)

There are lots of ways to celebrate World Cat Day. The international holiday, celebrating the world's most popular pet, was founded by the International Fund for Animal Welfare, among other animal rights groups. The IFAW reminds us this year that getting pregnant doesn't mean getting rid of your cat.

As Netizens, I'm sure you can all think of more than a few on your own. But here are some great, really cute links, in case you're feeling lazy.

While you're at it, if you want a soppy moment, read The cat with 17 lives. You can also tell BlogHer's Melissa Ford about your own cat while checking out her link list of cat lovers' blogs, Twitter and Facebook accounts, and more. 

Story-wise, I recommend Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams - it's one of the books I read every year. If you've read that one and like it, try Gabriel King's The Wild Road. If you're less of a fantasy person, and prefer mysteries, I recommend Lillian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who series and/or Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy Mystery series. If you're a little kid (or like to read like one), check out Skippyjon Jones by Judith Byron Schachner; or, if you're a little older than that, Swicky highly recommends Adam Jay Epstein and Andrew Jacobson's The Familiars

Links!

Popular posts from this blog

Pi-Tastic!

How Small Is His...Er, Hand?

Where Are We Going, And Why Are We In This Handbasket?