9/11

Of course I remember where I was when I learned the news that an airplane had crashed into the World Trade Center.

I was on my way to class when someone I didn't know stopped me briefly to ask if I knew what was going on. I didn't. All he knew was that something terrible had happened in New York. I was sympathetic to his concern, but I was also running late, so I kept going. I made it all the way to the classroom, had arranged my things, and then sat in shock as my instructor told us what had happened.

I went to my friend's dorm room, where a bunch of us sat and watched the news - that's when I learned first that a second plane had hit the World Trade Center, and then that a third plane had hit the Pentagon. That's when I personally began to panic and started calling family - I had a cousin who worked in the Pentagon. By the time the fourth plane went down, I was a nervous wreck, and I wasn't the only one.

I was lucky - my cousin was not at work and was fine. I know lots of people weren't so lucky - they lost loved ones and had their lives torn apart.

A lot of things have changed in the last 13 years, some as a direct result of that act of terror. Many of them, which perhaps made sense at the time, need to reversed now. Some have caused more trouble than they've averted, and some we should, as a nation, be ashamed of. I hope, in another 13 years, we can still remember and honor the victims of 9/11, with a clearer conscience and a freer nation.

9/11 Links:





Links!

Popular posts from this blog

Pi-Tastic!

How Small Is His...Er, Hand?

Where Are We Going, And Why Are We In This Handbasket?