O, Frabjous Day! Callooh! Callay!

I have a mouse! Isn't it pretty?

No, it's not a black and white picture.
It's a silver and black mouse on a black desk.


I also got my Redditgifts Book Exchange gift!

Steampunk, Sherlock, and Nemo - Oh, My!


In other news, my library just started offering Hoopla. It's exciting! Through Hoopla, patrons can download movies, TV shows, music, and audiobooks - free! (Well, free for the patrons; the library pays for access, of course.) I tried it out a bit, and learned something new about myself.

I hate audiobooks.

Theoretically, they're awesome. You can listen to a story while driving long distances, or while you're working on something else. I listen to music or watch shows and movies like that all the time. (Just to be clear, I do not watch shows or movies while driving. I realize that sentence could imply that.) What's not to love?

I don't love it.

I can't pay attention to the story when someone else is reading it aloud; I get distracted by the fact that their voice is not the voice I'd have chosen for that particular story, or I don't like the way they've said a particular sentence - it's not the way I'd have chosen to say it. I can't divorce me from the book the way I can from a movie or TV show. In some special way, when I read I infect the characters with my self, whereas movie and TV show characters are very separate entities. I need my own mental voice (well, "voices," really) reading the story.

So, while I'm a firm compatibilist on the "digital vs. print" front, I am rather hesitant to endorse audiobooks as a contender for "best format." I have, and will continue to, suggest that parents teaching young children to read try read-along storybooks, and I'm sure some people do manage to listen to audiobooks and follow the stories just fine while doing other things. I simply can't imagine how...

Links!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Shocked, But I Don't Know Why

This Is How You Get Fleeced