I Feel Sick. Have Some Links.
- Libraries, Books, & Authors
- In Winter, Keeping Warm With Beloved Books
- Evolution for Libraries in Brooklyn Not sure how I feel about this...gonna wait and see how it goes...
- T160k Crowdfunds to Help Librarians Catalog Medieval Manuscripts from Timbuktu "Social Purpose Corporation T160k recently launched 'Cataloging the Timbuktu Libraries,' a crowdfunding effort to help train local staff in Mali and help librarians in Timbuktu's Mamma Haidara Commemorative Library catalog and preserve more than 400,000 ancient, fragile manuscripts." Related: Cataloging the Timbuktu Libraries "In 2012, under threat from fundamentalist rebels, a team of archivists, librarians, and couriers evacuated an irreplaceable trove of manuscripts from Timbuktu at great personal risk [read more]. The story didn't end there. In 2013, 1,257 funders chipped in on Indiegogo to save and preserve the libraries from the damp of their new environment in exile. Now we’re ready to help with the next step: cataloguing these ancient manuscripts so that they can be shared with the world."
- Net & Tech
- The Cobweb "For the law and for the courts, link rot and content drift, which are collectively known as 'reference rot,' have been disastrous." Archiving the Internet seems like a daunting task. That doesn't make it any less important, though.
- Happy Birthday, Coffee Party! "The Coffee Party is five years old today!"
- After a Deal, British Chocolates Won’t Cross the Pond "As a result of a settlement with the Hershey's Company, Let's Buy British Imports, or L.B.B., agreed this week to stop importing all Cadbury's chocolate made overseas. The company also agreed to halt imports on KitKat bars made in Britain; Toffee Crisps, which, because of their orange packaging, and yellow-lined brown script, too closely resemble Reese's Peanut Butter Cups; Yorkie chocolate bars, which infringe on the York peppermint patty; and ...Maltesers." Boooooo....
- Six Weeks’ Paid Leave Opposed By People With Thirty-Three Weeks’ Paid Leave "The opponents of paid leave, who show up for work a hundred and thirty-seven days per year and receive paid leave for the other two hundred and twenty-eight, were baffled by other moments in the President’s speech. For example, they were confused by Obama’s challenge to try to survive on a full-time job that pays fifteen thousand dollars, since they all currently hold a part-time job that pays a hundred and seventy-four thousand dollars."
- GOP rep.: Keep minimum wage low ‘for minorities’ who aren’t worth more than $7 an hour "The California Republican explained that the minimum wage was not supposed to be a living wage that could support families." Someone's out of touch with how the world works...
- Dropkick Murphys ask Scott Walker to stop using their music
- Middle Class Shrinks Further as More Fall Out Instead of Climbing Up
- Archdiocese of New Orleans imposes new rules to protect St. Louis Cemetery No. 1