It's been an up-and-down sort of day; I got my new phone battery in the mail, but the dishwasher also broke. Mostly, I just read - so, all in all, not a bad day.
- Libraries, Books, & Writers
- Obama to Dems: 'Get informed, not by reading the Huffington Post' Of course, it'd help if TPP was available to read. How does he expect Congress to "get informed?" HuffPo and others are reporting on the information they have - leaked documents - because TPP is shrouded in secrecy; Congress is basically being pushed to approve something they've never read simply on the say-so of those who stand to benefit from restricting our rights. Psht.Not your best moment, Mr. President. Not directly about libraries, but librarians and library associations globally are very concerned about TPP. As we all should be.
- The New York Public Library Is Using Old Maps To Create A Time Machine Of The City
- Other Little Free Libraries could be ordered to cease "Alan Clarke, the MPC's zoning administrator, said the book swaps are, by definition, libraries equivalent to Shreve Memorial Library, and under city law a library can only exist in a commercially-zoned area." There seems to be an underlying ignorance as to what an actual library is, as opposed to this nice book-swap movement. I mean, really - who actually considers a Little Free Library equivalent to Shreve Memorial Library? No one with any sense, that's for sure.
- FREE BOOKS: 100 legal sites to download literature Nicely arranged, too!
- World Read Aloud Day 2015 Blogging Challenge
- Net & Tech
- Science & Health
- From Roald Dahl: "MEASLES: A Dangerous Illness"
- Rise In Measles Cases Marks A 'Wake-Up Call' For U.S. "So far this year there have been 84 measles cases in 14 states. That's already more cases than the U.S. typically sees in a year..." At what point do we call it an epidemic? And, seriously, how embarrassing is this, considering this is a disease we had declared eliminated in the U.S.?
- What Would Happen To Earth If All Humans Disappeared? Neat!
- Evidence for Cosmic Inflation Theory Bites the (Space) Dust
- Missouri man charged with felony after alleged racial slur "...Gaa is accused of confronting the waitress on Sunday and grabbing her arm, causing bruising. A probable cause statement says Gaa said 'I have a place I would like to take you where I hung your grandpa' and used racial slurs."
- Support Waning, Romney Decides Against 2016 Bid
- Rep to Staff: Ask Muslim Visitors to Pledge Allegiance I'm pretty sure that's religious discrimination, and I hope someone has mentioned to her how much we frown on that here.
- Introducing: Scorecards for the TV networks Looks like we should stick with CNN, for the most part - although, as always, folks, you should always, always, always corroborate information!
- Coyotes strike again at Oakland County farm where Lapeer County Sheriff's Mounted Division horse was killed
- Stop Punishing People After They Have Been Released From Prison