Are You a School Librarian? Check This Out!
Wow! Thanks, James Patterson! You are officially awesome!*
From Scholastic's Facebook page: "We're thrilled to announce our partnership with author James Patterson who has pledged $1.25 million to school libraries in need! Donations will range from $1,000 to $10,000 per school, and Scholastic Reading Club will match each dollar with “Bonus Points" for teachers. Nominate your school library today!"
You can nominate your school library at Scholastic Reading Clubs Online!** Good luck!
*Yeah, okay, he was awesome before this, too...
** There's also a great article from Publishers Weekly, where you can learn more: James Patterson to Donate $1.25M to Libraries
- Libraries, Books, Writers, & Suchlike
- The Reveal: Announcing LJ’s 2015 Movers & Shakers "Passion. Vision. Mission. These are just a few of the words that characterize the 50 individuals—and one organization—named 2015 Movers & Shakers."
- LPB launches Louisiana Digital Media Archive "Ten years in the making, this marks a very exciting time for the State’s history. Through the site, http://ladigitalmedia.org, users can view digitized content including interviews with notable politicians, artists, and civil rights activists."
- What not to do in a library: Make a sex tape I'd have thought that was obvious, but maybe there should be signs?
- Net & Tech
- Google Flights: Search giant's new booking tool offers seven ways to get the best price on travel
- Apple Watch ready to start ticking I wish I had the money to buy this thing. I wouldn't buy it, actually, but I'd like the money. "While it starts at $350, few are expected to walk out of the stores paying less than $500 or $600, dressing it up with expensive step-up bands. The watch comes in three editions, with the top-of-the-line edition expected to garner anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000, easily dwarfing Apple's current most expensive product, a tricked out $4,000 Mac Pro computer."
- Health & Science
- People With 'Invisible Disabilities' Fight For Understanding
- Genetically Modified Immune Cells Control HIV Long-Term
- Illinois oil train derailment threatens Mississippi River "The spill from the derailment, which occurred Thursday, also threatens the Galena River, a tributary of the Mississippi, and the Upper Mississippi National Wildlife and Fish Refuge, one of the most complex ecosystems in North America."
- Authority Issues
- Ferguson judge behind aggressive fines policy owes $170,000 in unpaid taxes
- Advocacy "Last week the City of Cleveland announced that its official position is that 12 year old Tamir Rice, who was shot and killed by city police while holding a toy gun in a park, caused his own death through negligence by 'failing to avoid injury.'"
- US tourists caught carving names into Rome’s Colosseum "The Californians, aged 21 and 25, snuck away from their tour group on Saturday and began scratching their initials into the amphitheatre with a coin. They managed a 'J' and an 'N' around 8cm high, before taking a selfie with their handiwork." What is wrong with people?
- The Conundrum of Corporation and Nation "The U.S. economy is picking up steam but most Americans aren't feeling it. By contrast, most European economies are still in bad shape, but most Europeans are doing relatively well. What's behind this?"
- The murder of Ahmed Al-Jumaili in Texas should be a front-page story "Al-Jumaili had hesitated to leave his home in Iraq, but his wife had urged him to come to the US, where he'd be safer."
- Wrongfully convicted Ricky Jackson sheds hatred acquired after 39 years in prison; forgives his accuser
- Republicans Warn Iran -- and Obama -- That Deal Won't Last "A group of 47 Republican senators has written an open letter to Iran's leaders warning them that any nuclear deal they sign with President Barack Obama's administration won’t last after Obama leaves office." The blatant disrespect, not only for the office of the President, but for the nation they presumably serve, is mind-boggling. The Janus-faced [expletive deleted] cry "patriot" with one face and turn traitor with the other. I'd like to slap both faces.