I'M SO EXCITED!!!
It looks amazing! What is Missy doing there? Is she going to be friend or foe or something in-between? Who is Maisie Williams playing? (Please be Jenny, please be Jenny, please be Jenny...) Peter Capaldi continues to seem awesome, and there are so many nods to Classic Doctors!
- Libraries, Books, Authors, & Suchlike
- A love letter to libraries from Jenny Lawson, author of Furiously Happy. "Librarians are how libraries speak. Theirs are the small faces behind a million stories and facts. Theirs are the simple hands that introduce you to the people who will shape you, and the ghosts that will haunt you, and the ideas that will drive you, and the friends that will never leave you. They know the science of knowledge and beauty and laughter, and – though you can’t quite imagine it – they’ve cried over the same books that have broken and rebuilt your heart. They’ve ridden in the same sleigh with the snow queen. They’ve flown over London and sailed on pirate ships and visited Shangri-La and watched the world be destroyed and created and destroyed again. And what they want more than anything else is to share those impossible journeys with you."
- On The Work of Theology: An interview with Stanley Hauerwas I love Hauerwas.
- Authors, Keep Your Copyrights. You Earned Them. "Authors should not assign their copyrights to publishers."
- How women journalists can protect themselves online
- August 13, 1931: Novelist and screenwriter William Goldman is born
- On Claire Messud and the importance of stories in a dying universe
- Ayn Rand’s If You Give A Mouse A Cookie Heh.
- Iowa barber gives haircuts to children in exchange for them reading stories to him
- Net, Tech, Health, & Science
- News about the success of a new Ebola vaccine may be too good to be true
- Why you should honestly care that Google is now part of Alphabet
- By the numbers: The massive toll of the Animas River spill
- The Sharing Economy "Hold onto your hats Doctors and Doctresses…things are about to get even better. Introducing a new kind of VAP – the "volunteer assistant professor." Yes, that's right. You now have the opportunity to do the full-time job of a professor for free at Southern Virginia University. You won't get paid any, you know, money, but don't say no until you've taken a look at what this position has to offer!" Wow, that's just horrible.
- Free-speech group eyes school policies "The nonprofit, nonpartisan group has faulted colleges and universities around the country for having restrictive 'free-speech zones' and rules intended to protect students from abuse, but instead punish some students for stating their beliefs."
- Authority Issues
- Arlington, Tex., Officer Is Fired in Fatal Shooting of Christian Taylor
- Facial Recognition Software Moves From Overseas Wars to Local Police "Facial recognition software, which American military and intelligence agencies used for years in Iraq and Afghanistan to identify potential terrorists, is being eagerly adopted by dozens of police departments around the country to pursue drug dealers, prostitutes and other conventional criminal suspects. But because it is being used with few guidelines and with little oversight or public disclosure, it is raising questions of privacy and concerns about potential misuse."
- Other (Serious Stuff)