Since we didn't get massive amounts of snow and are therefore not stuck in Kentucky, I suppose we will pack up tonight and head out early tomorrow morning. Time to get back to The Real World.
- Libraries, Books, & Authors
- Art Student Hand-Illuminates, Binds a Copy of Tolkien's Silmarillion So gorgeous!
- Hanover schools release list of sensitive instructional material "Hanover County school administrators have sent all principals a list of instructional materials that teachers now need a principal’s permission to use in class....The books on the list are 'Thou Shalt Not Dump the Skater Dude,' by Rosemary Graham; 'So Far From the Bamboo Grove,' by Yoko Watkins; 'The Color Purple,' by Alice Walker; 'The Well,' by Mildred D. Taylor; and 'Thirteen Reasons Why,' by Jay Asher."
- Publishing: The peer-review scam "When a handful of authors were caught reviewing their own papers, it exposed weaknesses in modern publishing systems. Editors are trying to plug the holes."
- How Paperbacks Helped the U.S. Win World War II
- A Seattle woman writes a 50,000 word novel in 30 days, while library patrons look on
- Net & Tech
- Music publishers finally pull the trigger, sue an ISP over piracy "BMG Rights Management and Round Hill Music have sued Cox Communications for copyright infringement, arguing that the Internet service provider doesn't do enough to punish those who download music illegally."
- Blocked piracy site list more than doubles after ruling
- EU net neutrality discussions to continue into the next year
- A Facebook Change Makes It Harder for Political Campaigns to See Your Friends
- Death toll from Ebola outbreak nears 7,000 in West Africa: WHO
- Woman May Have Contracted HIV From Sharing Manicure Equipment
- Polar Bears Face Starvation And Cub Loss Due To Sea Ice Loss
- Ravens Have Social Abilities Previously Only Seen In Humans