It was a long day.
- Libraries, Books, & Authors
- Happy birthday, Margaret Atwood! I love her books - The Handmaid's Tale and the Maddaddam series are probably my favorites. (At least, today.) Related: 75 Reasons Why Margaret Atwood is Awesome
- Maurice Sendak's rare book collection is subject of new lawsuit
- Artist Remakes Famous Books Into Art Masterpieces
- Uber Executive Suggests Digging Up Dirt On Journalists "...and specifically to spread details of the personal life of a female journalist who has criticized the company."
- Barbie book about programming tells girls they need boys to code for them That is terrible - seriously horrible.
- Net & Tech
- Net Neutrality Emails Reveal a Cozy 'Social Network' Between the FCC and Telecoms
- Harry Reid Wants To Attach Part Of SOPA To Surveillance Reform Bill Someone go smack him.
- Pay Phones in New York City Will Become Free Wi-Fi Hot Spots Neat!
- Why the South lags behind when it comes to home broadband use Not surprising.
- Big Data Companies Agree: Farmers Should Own Their Information
- How the GOP used Twitter to stretch election laws "Republicans and outside groups used anonymous Twitter accounts to share internal polling data ahead of the midterm elections, CNN has learned, a practice that raises questions about whether they violated campaign finance laws that prohibit coordination."
- Bicycle Bottle System Condenses Humidity From Air Into Drinkable Water
- Once Thought Extinct, North America's Rarest Mammal May Bounce Back
- Philae Detected Organic Molecules On Comet
- A Glass Of Wine A Day May Help Keep The Heart Disease Away - But Only For 15% Of Us
- Tanzania accused of backtracking over sale of Masai’s ancestral land "Masai told to leave historic homeland by end of the year so it can become a hunting reserve for the Dubai royal family"
- Authority Issues
- 10 Ways Police in Ferguson May Be About to Break the Law Related: No Indictment Planning #Ferguson
- Woman Claims Ferguson Officer Raped Her
- ‘I thought he was going to shoot me.’ Unsuspecting middle school students terrified by active shooter drill. Craziness...
- Yes, you have a right to record the police.
- Child Homelessness Hits Historic High Related: America’s Youngest Outcasts: A Report Card on Child Homelessness
- Clergy call out Ft. Lauderdale mayor on false feeding site claims "After Fort Lauderdale made it illegal to feed the homeless on city streets, Mayor Jack Seiler told the media that the city had actually added feeding sites to take care of the homeless, but on investigation journalists found these new sites didn't exist....Seiler did eventually concede that there are only four organized feedings, but said the city has now 'sanctioned' every church in the city to conduct the feedings whether they choose to do so or not."
- Senate Rejects Keystone XL Pipeline Bill, In A Close Vote