4th of July
Independence Day Special Links:
- Why I'm grateful to be American
- Freedom To NOT Celebrate Independence Day Related: I Will Reflect, Not Celebrate
- 'Freedom' Is Just Another Word For Letting the Rich Get Richer
- Help us reduce the influence of money in politics! Whether you're Republican, Democrat, or some other/no party; conservative, liberal, or somewhere in between - if you believe in a government of, for, by all the people and not just the wealthy, you should get on board with the Mayday PAC.
And, of course, today's a great day to get your kids reading about America. C.H. has a great recommendation:
|America (The Book) : A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction|
Caution: Recommended primarily for older kids/adults.
- Libraries, Books, & Authors
- How The 'Lost Copy' Of The Declaration Of Independence Landed In The Dallas Library
- Which Classic Children's Book Describes Your Life? I got "The Giving Tree," which always makes me cry.
- Net & Tech
- Stop The JerkTech
- If you read Boing Boing, the NSA considers you a target for deep surveillance So...um...Hi, there, NSA. Related: Dear NSA, Privacy is a Fundamental Right, Not Reasonable Suspicion
- Against intellectual property Very thought provoking.
- This Internet Millionaire Has a New Deal For You
- BBC Institutes Changes to Prevent "False Balance" in Science Reporting
- Surrounded By Digital Distractions, We Can't Even Stop To Think
- Student Loan Rates Are Set to Spike Again — and Congress Is Letting It Happen
- Supreme Court Broadens Hobby Lobby Ruling to All Forms of Birth Control Related: Supreme Court lets Wheaton College deny birth control coverage How far is it going to go? Will a business owner who doesn't believe in medical intervention be allowed to skip providing insurance and just keep a faith healer on staff?