Believe it or Not, I'm not a Democrat
I'm not. I'm not a Republican, either. I don't like either party completely, although there are points of both I agree with. And points I vehemently disagree with, as well.
But, seriously, the Republican party has been acting really, really weird lately:
- House Republicans successfully ban funding for canceled White House renovation, so take that, Obama I'm confused. There were plans to renovate the bowling alley, and Obama nixed those plans - so House Republicans then banned funding for...the plans that Obama had already cancelled...and are wanting to spin it that they saved us taxpayers the unnecessary expense? How much money did they waste doing that?? Couldn't they have been doing something, I don't know, productive during that time??
- There was also this: Arizona Politician Mistakes Y Campers for Migrant Children He said he could see the "fear" on the kids' faces - kids, that is, who were actually, in real life, excited little scamps headed to camp. Either the guy can't recognize human emotion, or he was determining what to say not by factual observance but by political expediency. Or, I suppose, both.
- Remember when Rep. Renee Ellmers urged men to bring policy ‘down to a woman’s level’? Well, now she wants to put that statement in context. It's...it's not any better, really.
- Strangely enough, Liz Cheney (Dick's daughter) says that it's the Democrats who are "paternalistic" towards women: “The idea that you’re going to say to a woman, ‘Let me talk to you about some woman’s issues, and you must feel this way about this issue or that way about that issue because you’re a woman.’ ” Ms. Cheney said. “As a woman, I find that really offensive. I think it’s really paternalistic, and I think it’s not going to serve Democrats well in the long run.” Yes, that sounds nothing like the Republicans...
- Libraries, Books, & Authors
- Amazon Wants You To Pay $120 For A Glorified Library Card Seriously, guys, we'll give you the same service for free.
- President called by ALA and partners to again threaten veto of privacy-hostile “cybersecurity” info sharing legislation advancing in Senate
- FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler speaks on your libraries, E-rate and calls for improvement If he really wants to help libraries, he could start by protecting net neutrality and climbing out of ISPs' pockets.
- Things Found in Books
- Have a kid that just isn't into reading (yet)? "Wimpy Kid" Author's 6 Tips to Hook Reluctant Readers Related: Books for Reluctant Readers!
- The First Book Ever Printed in English Sells for Over a Million Dollars
- Darwin’s complete Galapagos library posted online
- Apple could fork over $400M to settle e-books price-fixing suit
- J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis' friendship will be the subject of a new film
- Russian Media Watchdog Says Avengers May Incite Violence, Cruelty And it's not Loki's fault, this time.
- Scholastic Protects the Freedom to Read as CBLDF’s Newest Sponsor!
- Militants Call for Death of The 99 Creator
- Net & Tech
- RIAA Uses Copyright Claim To Disappear Historical Archive Of Radio Airchecks
- Bing follows Google in offering Europeans the 'right to be forgotten'
- UN Human Rights Report Confirms Government Surveillance Violates Privacy Rights
- New York Judge: The 4th Amendment Doesn't Pertain to Online Storage
- Equipping our Children with Knowledge for the Digital Age
- First of Its Kind Map Reveals Extent of Ocean Plastic
- Biologists discover electric bacteria that eat pure electrons rather than sugar, redefining the tenacity of life
- Today is Mandela Day! The Google Doodle is in his honor today. Related: World marks Nelson Mandela Day.
- Are the Kids Showing Up at the Border Really Refugees?
- Thailand: Military ill-treats, threatens to kill anti-coup protesters
- Israel warns it may further expand Gaza operation
- Initial U.S. assessment: Pro-Russian rebels fired missile that downed Malaysia jet Related: Aids conference says 100 researchers may have been on flight MH17
- CA Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- "A new Army rule limits black servicewomen to only a few expensive, time-consuming hairstyles. Jessica Williams explains." Operation Black Hair
- Hero Cat ‘Smudge’ Saves Five-Year-Old Best Buddy From Bullies, Bad Guy Leaves In Tears