The Five Books You MUST Read This Summer!!! (And Every Summer!!!)
This is it, guys - the post you've been waiting for! Even if - especially if - you didn't realize it! Here is the definitive list of books that must be read every summer! That's right - one list, for now and forever, so you don't need to read any of the other myriad "Go read this now!" lists that come out every week throughout the season.
- That new book you've been hearing great things about. Yep, that one. Every time someone mentions it, you think, "Wow, that sounds good. I should really get a copy of that." Yes, you should.
- That one book you've been meaning to read for years. It's sitting on your shelf/desk/floor. It has been for a while. Every once in a while, you look at it and think, "I'm going to read it one day." Today's that day.
- That book you read every year. You're going to anyway. And you know you're going to love it. You've loved it to pieces. Literally. You're on your fifth copy.
- That book that is in the news for being banned. Or is otherwise controversial. Because, when you inevitably get drawn into the conversation on it, you want to know what you're talking about, not just rely on what you've heard from others. Gossip is bad for people and books.
- That book your best friend loved and can't quit talking about. Because who wants to fangirl alone? That's what best friends are for!
- Parents-Only Bonus! That book your kid is reading for school. Because it'll give you something to talk about with your kid, and isn't that awesome? (Note: This counts twice as much if it's also #4!)
- Libraries, Books, & Authors
- London is Invaded by Beautiful Benches Dressed as Books Beautiful! Related: Books about Town Check out The Librarian!
- Why Are Publishers Giving Away Bestselling Books for Free?
- Who Ought to Underwrite Publishing Scholars’ Books?
- The Art of Reading Spines
- From Chuck Wendig: The Petition to Paint Amazon as Underdog
- Walter Dean Myers Dies at 76; Author’s Gritty Tales Spoke to Youths It's sad to lose the man, but his work will challenge us for a long time to come.
- Net & Tech
- Trans Pacific Partnership meeting switched from Vancouver to Ottawa, ducking critics
- Where’s Google in the Net Neutrality Fight?
- Privacy Tools: How to Block Online Tracking
- The US military is already using Facebook to track your mood Related: Privacy Group Complains to F.T.C. About Facebook Emotion Study
- How Dark Chocolate, Not Milk Chocolate, May Help Blood Flow Also, it tastes better.
- Kangaroos Have Five Legs
- Genes From An Extinct Human Species Help Tibetans Thrive At High Altitudes
- A Disappearing Planet "Animal species are going extinct anywhere from 100 to 1,000 times the rates that would be expected under natural conditions." Why? Well...us.
- Animusic is cool. Go watch the videos.
- UPDATED: 10 Right-Wing Media Myths About The Hobby Lobby Case, Debunked Related: How to Determine If Your Religious Liberty Is Being Threatened in Just 10 Quick Questions (Old, but relevant.)