Librarians are People, Too...

Aw, poor Google...




Seriously, though, you'd be surprised by how many librarians go through this all the time. Librarians doing reference interviews online, via text-a-librarian or chat programs, are constantly approached like they are automated systems. I suppose that's an easy mistake to make, when one becomes used to search engines and automated responses. Back when I did online reference interviews, I would gently let the other person know that I was a living, breathing individual - not that it always made a difference.

It's more confusing when it's on the phone. I don't think I sound like an automated system.

And it's downright rude when it's face-to-face. Robot technology is not that advanced.

That said, I'm ready to go back to work tomorrow. The kids don't listen to me any better than patrons, but with patrons I can pretend it's not personal. (I'm just kidding - patrons listen better.) (No, no, seriously, Swicky and Coconut are great kids. Usually. Except when they have to clean their bedroom.)

Links!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Shocked, But I Don't Know Why

This Is How You Get Fleeced