Point Koomahnah

Today was a crazy day at work - at least, as crazy as you'd expect from a library. Unless you actually work in a library, in which case it was actually pretty normal. All the drama was in the back today, strangely, with a couple people calling in sick and another simply forgetting to come to work, as well as several calls from patrons with strange requests. You know, typical shoot-me-now stuff.

I was glad to get home from work, for at least five seconds, until my son shot me in the eye with his new Nerf gun. I had unwittingly walked into a Nerf turf war, Coconut and Swicky against their father. I don't know who won, but I'm pretty sure I lost. Still, Michael made it up to me by handing over a bottle of Old New Orleans Cajun Spice Rum, so I'm now drinking some rum and Coca-Cola, which always makes me sing this song. Hence, Point Koomahnah.

Links!
  • Today is National Science Fiction Day: Today, because it's also Isaac Asimov's birthday. If you haven't read his Foundation series - go do that. Now. Start with Prelude to Foundation and read them chronologically. If you've read those, go find some other sci-fi to read. Because science fiction is awesome.
  • Editing Your Life's Stories Can Create Happier Endings: Excuse me, I'm going to go rewrite some personal history...
  • Why ALA Needs a Code of Conduct: I approve. Yelton notes a concern some have voiced - "Doesn’t a code of conduct pose problems for intellectual freedom?" She addresses this well, but I would simply say, "Of course not, don't be silly." A code of conduct doesn't stop anyone from rationally discussing differences of opinion or expressing personal beliefs - it just codifies the behaviors allowed in such discussions and expressions, creating an environment where everyone can feel comfortable joining in the conversation. 
  • Swicky got a microscope and a planetarium for her birthday. She is very interested in science, and I'm thrilled! Here are some books and toys for your budding Girl Scientist. (Or Boy Scientist, although the site it primarily geared towards girls.)
  • Interbreeding With Neanderthals: Fascinating!
  • Bill Nye to visit Creation Museum for debate: I so wish I could attend this event. I sincerely hope it ends up on YouTube.
  • Littlest Lovecraft: The Call of Cthulhu: I loved this little book. It looks like a children's picture book - it isn't. It really isn't. A poetic and wonderfully illustrated retelling of Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulhu, it might be required reading. I mean, Cthulhu certainly thinks it is. He devoured the last two rational entities who didn't think so. I can prove it:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Shocked, But I Don't Know Why

This Is How You Get Fleeced