Rainy Days and Sundays...
I did not have a particularly good day today. I think I'll go to bed early, and try again tomorrow.
- Libraries, Books, & Authors
- Preservation problems: How Long Do CDs Last? It Depends, But Definitely Not Forever So far, nothing beats carved stone or baked clay tablets for longevity, really.
- Zombie Novels. (You Know, For Kids!) by Clair McLafferty
- Gritty memoir from the author of 'Little House on the Prairie' to hit shelves this fall "In November, Wilder's long-unpublished autobiography that she later adapted into the successful children's books will be published. This time, however, the story won't be completely child-friendly."
- I like science. I sometimes think science-fiction is too heavy on the "fiction" side, and could use a bit more "science." Here's a list of books for me (and those of you who agree with me, and also for hooking kids on science through awesome storytelling): A Selection Of Novels For Science Lovers
- Net & Tech
- Thailand’s Military Ruler Has Been Appointed Prime Minister "After receiving the King’s backing, Prayuth will then hold Thailand’s three most powerful positions as the nation’s top military commander, junta chief and Prime Minister....Since seizing power, the junta — officially known as the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) — has promulgated an interim constitution that was labeled “a charter for dictatorship” by Human Rights Watch. It has also led a vicious crackdown on political opponents, journalists and academics critical of the putsch." This is not good news.
- Thailand says it will be lenient on cases of surrogacy amid Gammy crackdown Related: Struggling Phetchabun is Thailand's baby farm : Surrogacy is big business in one part of the country where villagers are desperately poor "'If we don't want this problem then the government must solve the root causes, and do it in a sustainable manner,' Mr Nom said, urging authorities to think more seriously about career development and land reform for the poor."
- Delay in moving body fueled anger in Ferguson
- Ferguson Residents Struggling With Daily Life
- A day of peace for Ferguson
- The Politics of #Ferguson : Why neither party wants to talk about race.
- In the wake of Ferguson, and too many similar recent situations, one mother speaks out about our duties to our sons: A Mother's White Privilege Related: An African-American mother asks white moms to speak up: Dear White Moms
- A father speaks out about systemic use of excessive, deadly force by police officers: What I Did After Police Killed My Son "Our citizens need protection from undue force, here in our own country, and now." Sadly enough, we need protection from the very persons we put in place to protect and serve us.
- Four Skills to Teach Students In the First Five Days of School #1: Power Researching. Honestly, there are college classes that need to work on that, too. Gosh, it's almost like an information literacy instruction component should be added to every class...Now, who could we get to do that?!
- Will.i.am Sent These Four Kids To College In 2009. They Didn't Let Him Down.
- Iceland raises volcano warning level to highest red after small eruption
- Dozens injured, 3 critically, after strong earthquake in California
- British Ebola patient to be evacuated; WHO worker infected
- Post-war trauma, mistrust, fuel Ebola crisis
- 'Are we going to jail?': Dramatic dash-cam captures moment police pulled over an innocent mother and her four children at GUNPOINT terrifying her children to tears