Thai News - It's Not Pretty
The Thai military junta, currently in charge and showing few signs of actually handing power over to a democratically elected government, is pretty horrible.
The United States is concerned - our nation has suspended one-third of its military aid (and is considering cutting more aid), as well as advising American citizens away from travel in the country; in addition,the U.S. may blacklist Thailand over allegations of slave labor in prawn production.
- Human rights essential to reconciliation in wake of Thailand political crisis – UN experts
- Thailand’s Military Government Votes ‘Yes’ On Forced Labor
- Thailand: Halt Military Trials, End Arbitrary Arrests
- Thailand coup: Army detains influential critics
- Thailand: Rights in ‘Free Fall’ After Coup
- Thai junta warns: 'Hunger Games' salute illegal
- Libraries, Books, & Authors:
- New Orleans librarian, Laurence Copel, wins $3,000 prize
- Pensacola Principal Cancels Little Brother Summer Reading Program Related: Florida School’s Cancelling Little Brother Assignment Causes Big First Amendment Concerns
- What Does Japan’s New Child Porn Law Mean for Manga and Anime? It worries me. I think I'll talk about that tomorrow. Meanwhile, if anyone would like to share their opinion, I'd really like to hear it.
- Middle Eastern Online Bookseller Puts Spotlight on Banned Books I have a hero!
- Science in Fantasy Novels Is More Accurate Than in Science Fiction Well, that's interesting...
- 5 Biographies of Female Firsts: From Sally Ride to Madeleine Albright
- $6 DRM-Free Small Press Ebooks? Yes, Please!
- 10 of the Best Independent Bookstores Across the U.S. Road trip idea!
- Charles Wright Named America’s Poet Laureate
- Neil Gaiman: “I’m obviously pissed at Amazon”
- Huge Underground "Ocean" Discovered Towards Earth's Core Interestingly enough, it's in a form completely different from the three we're used to...
- Breath Test Being Developed To Detect Lung Cancer
- Woman jailed over truancy fines found dead in cell Yet another way the poor are punished for being poor...
- San Francisco’s (In)Visible Class War It's not just San Fran, of course...
- CNN Decides 80% of Reported School Shootings Don't Count
- It's Really Hard to Be a Good Guy With a Gun
- 5 Things to Know About the Armed Men in Your Local Chipotle
- The bell hooks Hotline: For When You'd Rather Not Give Out Your Number
- Steampunks at Sea I really want to go on this cruise one day...
- The 50 States Of America If They Were Actually High School Kids Oh, Louisiana...it's true. It's so true...